Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sunday Dinner~Basil Chive Red Potatoes

I LOVE potatoes.  Seriously, I could probably eat them three times a day and not get sick of them.  Of course I'm talking about homemade potato recipes, not something out of a box. Mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, american fries...whatever. I heart the potato.  

My Mom always kids around with me that Casey and I make "fancy" food.  I'm here to tell you putting a little twist on something as basic as mashed potatoes can wow your family and friends.  

Here is one of my favorite mashed potato recipes - and it's one of the easiest.  Give it a try and let me know what you think. This is a recipe I saw on the Food Network years ago.....super simple. If you have a great potato recipe, please share!

Basil Chive Red Potatoes
You will need:
2 pounds red-skinned new potatoes (leave the skin on)
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 stick of butter
3 tablespoons (fresh) chopped chives
2 1/2 tablespoons (fresh) chopped basil

Cut the potatoes in half and place them in a medium saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover them by a couple inches. Toss in a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender when poked with a knife (about 25 minutes).

Drain the potatoes and return to pan.  Add cream and butter and let the whole pot sit on very low heat until warmed through.

Add the chives and basil to the potatoes and mash coarsely. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment