Friday, December 31, 2010

What a Long Strange Trip its Been...

Let me start out by saying I am blessed.  I have my health, a terrific husband, a loving family, and the most amazing friends a girl could ever ask for.  This past year proved it to me once again - that even at the lowest of low times, we always need to remember to count our blessings.


Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes.....how do you measure a year in the life? Man o man so much can happen in the course of a year...


My first memory of 2010 was attending the funeral of my lifelong friend Beccee Kujawa.  No one single event in my life has made such an impact emotionally on me.  It was the most surreal feeling walking into the sanctuary for the first time.  Being completely grief stricken yet feeling totally "at home" all at the same time.  Beccee brought me back to the church and I became a member at Crosspoint this year.  The outpouring of love that day was indescribable.  Hundreds of people from all stages of Beccee's life were there to pay their respects to a friend that had made such an impact on their lives. I remember giving Ron a hug in the receiving line and thinking he looked so broken (wouldn't we all?).  At this time I hardly knew Ron...pretty much just from our time together planning the benefit.  As I said, things can really change in the course of a year :)  I remember Carol as she was leaving with the family.  We made eye contact and she stopped and gave me the biggest hug ever.  I know that there is no way that I could have, but if there was a way I could have taken away even one small portion of her pain and sorrow that day I would have done it in a heartbeat.  It was bizarre to see faces from my "other" life so long ago...the Mirgage guys, Benet, Lisa, etc.  I remember the video playing at the end of the service with Beccee singing.  I literally could not move.  I could not take my eyes off of the screen. Even though I know with complete certainty that Beccee was taken home to be in Heaven....saying goodbye completely broke my heart.  Beccee's passing has affected me profoundly. Not a day goes by where I do not think of her or pray for her family.  Beccee's light continues to shine in my life....I imagine it always will.


In January I became a Supervisor! Go figure!  I am very fortunate to have a team of people who are dedicated to their jobs.  I'd still drop everything in a heartbeat for a job at Summerfest (in case anyone is connected) - but I honestly am lucky to have a job that pays my mortgage and puts food on our table.


My friends continue to amaze me with their "wonderfulness" (my blog, I can make up words if I want to!).  I just can't express how cool it is to be surrounded by such amazing individuals.  Some friends I am lucky enough to see on a regular basis - but even those that I see only occasionally continue to be a HUGE part of my life.  Know that each and every one of you plays a very important part in my life. Thank you for putting up with me.  I  know that I'm opinionated and relatively (ok VERY) impatient...but I mean well :) I am also excited about the new friendships that developed this year.  It's always very interesting to me how certain people are put into our lives.


It was a tough year in the job department for Casey.  This put a lot of stress on us emotionally and of course financially.  I won't drudge it all up - but I will say that I am very happy that he has settled into the job at Nona's.


I "retired" from my (very small) role in the music business.  I had been managing Majestic Mudd as well as booking them and a few other acts from time to time.  I said I would get out when it wasn't fun anymore and that's what it boiled down to.  We all know I don't like to chase people (musicians, bar owners - anyone).  It just wasn't a good fit for me anymore.  Now I'm a fan....and please do not call me a groupie ha!  


Where one door closes, another one opens.  My dear friend Laura Kiley asked me to work with her on her latest business venture localstopp.com.  We will be going full force come the new year....it's a brand new website devoted to all things Lake Country.  The backstory is what I find most endearing.  Laura came up with a business to fund a foundation to help others.  She's my hero. More to come on that soon.


I've been bouncing around an idea to start an online bakery business.....thoughts?


Of course the year was filled with seeing live music......Amileigha and Mike,Majestic Mudd, Keith, Ryan, Phil, Rebel Grace, the Love Monkeys, Erin and Matt, Ron and Droopy, Old Mil, and the list goes on and on! Love me some live music! 


I no longer make resolutions (Brea and Debbie will remember our NYE at Cactus Jacks writing resolutions on bar napkins!).  I will say that I am very excited about the new year. I'm calling it the year of reinvention.  Stay tuned!


I hope all of you are doing something special to ring in 2011.  Here's to a happy and healthy New Year for all of us!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Cari . . . I wish I had met Beccee before her passing. Just from the brief time I knew her I KNEW her to be a wonderful, kind-hearted and wonderful person. I'm grateful I've met you; even if, (so far) :) it's only been on facebook and here on your blog. I am so glad you are looking into the online bakery! Dream big, live big and share your love with everyone you meet! Happy New Year, Cari and many blessings to you and your family always . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cari.

    Well put. Somehow, I did not realize that you gave up your "Band Gig". But, you sound happy and it seems like 2011 is going to be a great year for you! Love, peace and happiness for 2011.

    -Kimberly : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Robin- I do hope that we have an opportunity to meet "live" one of these days. You are absolutely right.....dream big! If I keep doing things the way that they have been done before, nothing will ever change (I may have stolen that from Amileigha!). My biggest obstacle is that I just don't know where to start with the bakery idea. I wish that I knew someone that knew all of the "how to start up an online bakery business" answers! But I guess that is part of it. The research and development!

    @ Kimberly - yeah it was in October that I made that decision. I love my friends, but I don't want to chase them for commission checks and I sure as hell don't want to chase bar owners all the time. You'd be surprised how hard it is to get someone to return a call or an email. I wish that I could have done more with MM----but mine and Scott's schedule just never seemed to jive or life simply got in the way and things got pushed to the back burner. He's quite competent all on his own....he doesn't need me :) So yes, I'm very happy. Very excited about focusing on ME ----healthy living, writing, church, sign language.....there is lots and lots to look forward to! I hope that it is a great year for ALL of us! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete