Friday, May 13, 2011

Catchin' up ...

Admittedly I have been a bit lazy about keeping up with the blog lately.  There has been a lot going on!

The "year of reinvention"  - well let's just say that it's a work in progress.  

So here's where I'm at.  Even though I have set some great goals for this year, I realize that life happens and sometimes things don't work out the way we had planned. I'm trying to go with the flow and do what I can.

The journey to a healthier me---it's going well.  I'm not measuring my progress by a number on a scale but rather in how I feel.  I feel good.  That is what matters.  

Sign language class was a lot of fun.  Unfortunately due to some things going on with my Dad's health/family responsibilities, I needed to drop out early.   I know my friend Cheryl is going to stick with it and go into the next section of the class. I'm super proud of her!  Even though I wasn't able to complete the course, I understand what I was supposed to take away from it.  My instructor Suz was absolutely amazing.  The fact that she can speak perfectly even though she was born deaf was an eye opener for me.  I was witnessing a miracle.  God was showing his presence through my instructor.  Sometimes we need something to be right in our face like that to say hey don't doubt My presence.  Thanks, I needed that.

Even though this wasn't in the original game plan~I have found myself taking music lessons again.  Yep, I am bound and determined to learn the piano.  After seeing Carmen Nickerson sing (Michael and the Bystanders) at the Mold to Gold Benefit, I commented on a post Laura Kiley had put up on her page on Facebook.  Basically just saying how much Mom and I enjoyed listening to her.  This started a conversation which led me to taking lessons with her. I had my first lesson Wednesday and had so much fun.  Carmen is a doll and I am so thrilled that she is my teacher.  Right now I'm rockin' "jingle bells"...hey, ya gotta start someplace right?  It's an amazing feeling to play something and have it sound like the actual song.  My mom is so cute, she's already got a list of artists she wants me to learn...Elton John, Billy Joel, Neil Diamond, etc.  I hope that I will be able to play all of those for her some day!

The biggest thing I've learned so far in my year of reinvention is that life really is too short to sweat the small stuff.  I know that probably sounds cheesey but really think about it.  I keep trying to put things in perspective by asking myself in the big scheme of things, does this really matter/is it such a big deal?  Usually it's not as big of a deal as I first thought it was.  I have said this more than once in the last week - I truly think that everyone (including myself) needs to just take a step back and BREATHE!  

On a side note I've almost had 1000 views of this blog.  That's kind of fun!  Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment